American Breeds of Cat – At a Glance
Can cats eat bananas?
Bananas are non-toxic to cats and safe for a cat to eat in moderation. 
Bananas are rich in vitamin B6, manganese, vitamin C, potassium and dietary fibre. However, because cats have evolved to consume a meat diet, they are not able to digest plant material as effectively as omnivores and herbivores.
Snacks should make up no more than 10% of a cat’s diet. Cats are obligate carnivores which means they need to consume meat to survive as they are unable to manufacture some vitamins, amino acids and fatty acids and must obtain them in their pre-formed state from the meat and organs they consume. Some cats do enjoy the additional non-meat treats including fruit, vegetables, eggs, cheese and yoghurt.
Sometimes an image gives me an idea, and the photo below inspired this article. The photo below is a cat who vomited after anesthesia and surgery and illustrates why veterinarians ask pet owners to withhold food for several hours before a scheduled surgery. While possibly confronting to some, I wanted to show the consequences of eating in the hours leading up to scheduled surgery.
At a glance
An ocular foreign body can be present on the cornea, protrude through the cornea or penetrate the eye. Common foreign objects include grass seeds, thorns and splinters.
Flushing the object from the surface of the cornea, forceps or in some cases, surgery.
At a glance
About: Several diseases can lead to changes which pet owners may put down to bad behaviour, this highlights the importance of a thorough medical evaluation for any cat displaying undesirable behaviour to determine if there is a medical cause.
What kind of behaviours can be caused by disease?
Thanksgiving dangers to cats at a glance
Bottle feeding is necessary for kittens under five weeks who are orphaned, have been rejected by their mother, the mother has a medical condition which makes her unable to nurse, or if the litter is large. It is both rewarding and challenging to bottle feed a kitten and requires knowledge to do it safely.
Making the decision to hand-raise a kitten takes time and commitment. Neonates will need to be fed, cleaned and helped to go to the toilet every 2-3 hours, around the clock until the kitten is old enough to start solid food.
Cat friendly treats at a glance
Why give treats at all?
Treats for most cats are not necessary, and with obesity at endemic rates, the addition of treats can add additional calories that a cat doesn’t need. So, why feed treats?
- Sometimes a cat is not well, and a treat can encourage him or her to eat something
- Treats can be used as a reward when training a cat
- To hide pills or medication in (this generally works better for dogs but can be attempted for cats)
- To celebrate the cat’s birthday or another special event
Types of cat grass
Poisoning is a common occurrence in cats, although not as common as in dogs as they are more picky eaters, but it can still happen for a number of reasons.
- When a well-meaning pet owner administers a medication that has not been prescribed
- If the cat receives a larger dose of a prescribed medication
- The cat intentionally ingests a toxic substance (such as a plant, or medicine)
- Contact with a toxic substance which is then ingested when the cat grooms
- Secondary poisoning (eating a rodent that has ingested poison)
- Deliberate poisoning
- Venom toxicity (snake bite, spider bite, scorpion, frogs and toads)
Poisons can affect one or several body systems, and cause a range of symptoms which we have highlighted below.